Tired of recharging the battery of your cordless drill only to find it lasts 7 or 8 minutes before it’s lost power? In this DeWalt DCD796N Brushless XR Combi Drill review, I evaluate one of the upper-end priced drills to see how it stacks up.
I will be highlighting its features, pros, and cons, and comparing it with other combi drills in the market.
Is it worth paying the significant extra? It’s time to find out.
What DeWalt Gives You with the DCD796N
The DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill is touted as a high-quality power tool that is suitable for a wide range of drilling tasks. That’s all well and good but you will want to know just what separates this from the other drills you will be able to choose from.
Design & Build Quality
The DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill has a sleek and robust design that can withstand heavy use. The drill is made of high-quality materials and has a durable metal gearbox. It also has a comfortable and ergonomic grip that makes it easy to handle and control.
Well, one of the features of this drill that certainly separates it from the cheaper competitors is its brushless motor.
A brushless motor gives you these advantages when compared to drills with to brushed motors:
- Longer run time
- More power
- A longer lifespan
The drill also has a two-speed all-metal transmission, which allows you to choose the appropriate speed for the task at hand. It has a maximum torque of 60Nm, which is way more than enough for most ordinary household tasks.
With the 15-position adjustable torque control, you are also able to fine-tune the torque for precise results.
Here’s Bob the Tool Man unboxing the product so you can see what to expect:
|Batteries||2 x 5Ah DCB184|
|Torque control||15-position adjustable|
|Chuck size||13mm keyless|
|No-load speed (high)||2000rpm|
|No-load speed (low)||600rpm|
|Drilling capacity||Wood: 38mm, Steel: 13mm, Masonry: 13mm|
|Screwdriving capacity||High: 35mm, Low: 85mm|
This drill has several useful features that help make it stand tall amongst its competitors such as the Makita DHP484Z, Bosch GSB 18V-28 and Ryobi R18PD3-215GZ. More on these later.
Lights, Drill, Action
The DCD796N also has a number of convenient features that make it easy to use. It has a built-in LED light that illuminates the work area.
DeWalt also equips this power tool with a comfortable-to-hold rubber grip handle that gives you a really firm and secure grip. The drill also has a belt clip, which I have found really quite handy for keeping the tool within easy reach while I’m working.
One thing about the DCD796N is that it doesn’t come cheap. It is certainly right up on the higher side of price points compared to some other combi drills on the market.
However, given the build quality and performance that DeWalt has engineered into this really excellent power tool, it should last you many years with the proper care.
A big plus point of this is the fact that you get not one but two 5Ah DCB184 batteries included. Everyone should have a spare battery charging while the drill is being used so it makes complete sense that they bundle two long-lasting batteries with the DCD796N Combi Drill.
The battery is also compatible with other DeWalt XR tools, making it a versatile option.
The ergonomic design of the DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill makes it comfortable to hold and reduces the risk of strain or injury. The grip is also slip-resistant, providing better control and accuracy.
Cons of DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill
The DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill is relatively expensive compared to other combi drills in the market. However, I feel that the high price can be justified by its durable build, efficient performance, and long-lasting battery.
The DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill is a bit heavy, which may not be suitable for users who prefer lighter tools. However, the weight can easily be explained away due to its sturdy construction and powerful motor, which provide better performance and durability.
There has to be a happy medium somewhere!
Here are some tips for maintaining the DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill:
- Clean the drill after use: After using your drill, make sure to clean it properly. You can use a soft cloth to wipe off any dust or debris from the drill’s exterior.
- Lubricate moving parts: Lubricate the drill’s moving parts, including the chuck, with a light machine oil to keep them running smoothly.
- Store the drill properly: Store the drill in a cool and dry place. Make sure to remove the battery before storing it.
- Charge the battery properly: Make sure to charge the battery fully before using it. Avoid overcharging the battery, as it can damage it.
- Use the correct drill bits: Use the right drill bits for the job to prevent damage to the drill and achieve the best results.
Who is DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill for?
The DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill is suitable for DIY enthusiasts, professional contractors, and anyone who needs a reliable and powerful tool for drilling and as a powered screwdriver.
It can handle various materials, including wood, metal, and masonry, making it a versatile option for different projects.
Comparison vs the Competition
There are other drills out there to evaluate, too. Some of the main competitors to the DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill include:
- Makita DHP484Z 18V Li-ion LXT Brushless Combi Drill: This combi drill from Makita is another popular choice for professionals and DIY enthusiasts. It, too, features a brushless motor for improved efficiency and longer run time.
- Bosch GSB 18V-28 Combi Drill: The Bosch GSB 18V-28 combi drill is another decent option that is known for its high-quality construction and powerful performance. It features a brushless motor for improved efficiency and a compact design for easy handling.
- Milwaukee M18FPD2-0 18V Li-ion Fuel Brushless Combi Drill: This combi drill from Milwaukee is known for its powerful performance and long battery life. It also has a brushless motor and a compact design that makes it easy to use in tight spaces.
- Ryobi R18PD3-215GZ 18V ONE+ Brushless Combi Drill: The Ryobi R18PD3-215GZ is a popular option for DIY enthusiasts and homeowners. It features a brushless motor for improved efficiency and longer run time, as well as a similar design for easy handling.
Overall, there are many high-quality combi drills on the market that compete with the DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill. It is important to consider your specific needs and requirements when choosing a combi drill.
These will be the type of projects you will be using it for, the amount of power you need, and your budget. Speaking of price…
Is the DeWalt DCD796N XR Worth It?
Having purchased cheaper drills in the past, the DeWalt DCD796N 18v XR Brushless Combi Drill is on a different level completely. It’s a top-performing power tool that is not only suitable for a wide range of tasks, its battery lasts for ages.
I feel that the powerful brushless motor, a two-speed transmission, adjustable torque control and a number of convenient features make it extremely easy to use. The devil is definitely in the detail!
While it is somewhat expensive compared to other drills on the market, its high build quality and performance make it well worth the investment in my view. It’s a massive upgrade if you need to have a reliable and versatile drill.